Ho Chi Minh City’s effort to improve safety and security for tourists has paid off as the number of thefts targeting holidaymakers last month dropped while more international visitors arrived in the megacity, the municipal tourism department has said in a report.
In January 12 thefts and robberies in which the victims were foreign tourists have been reported to Ho Chi Minh City police, five cases fewer than the same period last year, the tourism department said, citing data from the Department of Public Security.
Officers have busted more than half of the cases, according to the department.
Ho Chi Minh City police have also cracked down on a theft ring that targeted international visitors on Pham Ngu Lao Street.
The city’s authorities also managed to free tourists from being annoyed by street vendors in 227 cases, much lower than a year earlier, whereas there were also fewer cases in which foreign holidaymakers were overcharged by taxi drivers.
The municipal administration is strengthening the task of protecting tourists, and is slated to set up a tourist supporting center, according to the tourism department.
The tourism department is reviewing four locations where the center could be placed and will soon seek official permission for the project from the city’s administration.
Last month Ho Chi Minh City welcomed more than 412,000 international tourists, up 8 percent from the same period in 2014, according to The Saigon Times Online.
The southern metropolis expects to receive 4.7 million arrivals this year.
Đăng ký: VietNam News